Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cooling Chimney


I haven't told everyone yet how much I liked our architect.  I think that she did a great job and this is one feature of the house that I am excited to see.
South Elevation

The cooling chimney, located right on the top middle of the house, sits over our great room and, theoretically, during summer months when the house is hot and the outside air is cool, we will be able to cool the house with an open window and a ceiling fan located in the cooling chimney.

I didn't realize the coolness of the architect until I examined the truss plans.  Here is what the truss manufacturer gave us for the 3 trusses that will entail the cooling chimney.

Cooling Chimney Truss Design
At the top of the house, the cooling chimney will be 4'x4'.  Where it intersects the ceiling of the great room, it will be 4' wide, with an exposed beam in the middle, and go from the apex of the ceiling all the way to the top of the wall - almost 8' long.  After the drywall goes in, I will finish the exposed beam with some oak or other hardwood plywood to make it look nicer.

Like I said, I think our architect did a great job on the house, but I think that this is a superb job.  It is a nice feature that adds so much.  I am looking forward to this part of the house.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think the outside air will be a lot cooler in the summer months. Maybe spring and fall. :)

    ReplyDelete